In August 2005 Hurricane Katrina hit the gulf coast. Did you know more than 1,800 people lost their lives? Did you know countless more lost everything they had? I guess when you're living through it you don't always realize how bad it is. Don't get me wrong, we saw how bad it was! There are images that will be etched in our minds forever. But when I heard how many actually died, I was a bit shocked. Was I too busy cleaning up to bother with statistics, or have I just forgotten...
Here is a little reminder, let's not forget those who were taken away that dreadful day! And, let's pray it never happens again! And most of all let's be thankful for those who survived and for all we have.
What are your memories of that time? Did you live through it or see it on the evening news? After watching the video, please leave me a comment letting me know what you remember. Oh, and don't forget to pause my playlist before you start the video.
Update: When I posted this entry, I had no idea there would be a storm headed our way! Apparently, Hurricane Gustav is following the same path as Katrina. However, those of us who have lived on the Gulf Coast for a while know hurricanes are incredibly unpredictable. So, I just want to say GO AWAY GUSTAV!!! Here's hoping you break apart somewhere over the ocean!
8 comments:
What I remember is the man (his voice can actually be heard in your video) who was looking for his wife and he was crying, He said something like, "she said, take care of the kids and grandkids". I think he was standing in downtown Mobile, I'm not really sure. I know it was a local station that picked it up and it went national. That will always be etched in my mind.
Also, I will never forget shortly after how many people came from all over to help with clean up and how Ann and I took the kids with us to Pascagoula to look for members and ending up giving out so many bottles of bleach and water. Ohh, my heart aches thinking about it.
Thanks for sharing your memory, Andrea. I remembered that man's voice too! And, the people who came from all over helped me realize how much good there still is in the world!
chocolate chip cookies
..it was all i could do not to eat these myself. they just smell so good.. ;)
My memory of Katrina was going to Slidell, La. a few weeks after the storm to salvage some things from a family members home that was completely under water during the storm surge. It was so heartbreaking to clean the house out and throw everything they owned on the street in a pile. Everything was lost except what they evacuated with. As I watched all the neighbors on their street doing the same thing it was a real "reality check" on how vulnerable we are to mother nature but then I thought "no, this is God's will and I am sure all will work out". Well, it did! They are back living in Mobile and opened their own business and are doing great and are happy. Just wanted to share.
Thanks so much, Chrissy! Isn't the human spirit an amazing thing?!
I remember being withoug power and when I went to my parents and saw what others had lost I cried for them. Here I was complaining about the heat and the delay on buying my new home and so many lost loved ones. I also remember thinking how much the media focused on New Orleans (which was well deserved) but not enough on Mississippi. I use to enjoy the excitement of hurricanes. Frederick hit when I was a kid and it was kind of "fun". What did I know? I've certainly learned a lot since then and join you in telling Gustav where to go.
Thanks Maureen! I too focused too much on my discomfort until I discovered how much devastation there really was. And, you're right about the media's fixation on New Orleans. The people along the Mississippi gulf coast were in just as much agony but you didn't hear much about that! Or, about Bayou La Batre, Al for that matter! I wonder why that is? Thanks for Sharing!
Hey! I blog too!! I saw your blog address on your e-mail and was excited to see your blog! I am just glad Gustav is going mostly away from Mobile,butI worry about my family in Louisiana! Hope y'all are safe in the storm!! Take care!
Post a Comment