Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Soakin' Wet!

This has been a water balloon summer! It all started a month or so ago. We were in Walmart, picking up a few groceries, when Kendal asked if she could buy some water balloons.

"What on earth for," I asked.

"To throw at people," she replied. (out of respect for me she didn't add a "duh" to that statement, although it was implied)

"Well, how much are they?" (This is my standard question any time the kids ask to make a purchase.)

"Only $2.49 for a pack of 5oo balloons." (somehow adding "only" to the price of an item makes it seem like less, did you know that?)

"That is pretty cheap, are you sure you want them?" (I asked, hoping she'd change her mind.)

"YES!" (she said with a somewhat mischievous look on her face)

Let me just say, that was the best $2.49 I've spent in a long time!
That night, Justin and Kendal took the balloons outside to test them. Soon the entire neighborhood of kids, ages 5 to 15, joined the fun. They had a blast! Unfortunately, the thought didn't occur to me to get my camera. In fact, I haven't taken a single picture of their water balloon adventures all summer.

So today, when Ariel and Cecily came over, Kendal asked if they could play with the remaining balloons. It was such a hot day, it seemed like a wonderful idea! And luckily, this time, I grabbed my camera!

At first it was just the girls. (Justin, the teenager, wasn't sure he wanted to get wet.)


That's Ariel trying to decide how to throw the balloon at Kendal (in the background) without getting squirted by the hose.

Oh no, looks like the tables are turned!
Cecily quickly learned to tie a water balloon.



And, quickly learned how easily they break!


Ariel really wanted Justin (her "big brother") to play too.


Yes! She convinced him to join in the fun!


I paused here to watch and to wipe the water droplets from my lens, when suddenly Justin was chasing Kendal with the garden hose. I'm not sure what set this off but it sure was fun to watch!


Cecily was not happy that Justin was chasing Kendal so she decided to step in and save the day...


I'm not sure how, but Little Cecily got Big Justin wrapped up in the garden hose.Thus ending the chase. Way to go Cecily! Although, I'm still not sure what Kendal did to start with...



There are a few things, after today, that I am sure of...

..$2.49 and a little water can get ya a smile like this...


...Kendal is going to kill me for posting this photo on my blog (but I don't think she reads it, shh!)...


...you shouldn't judge a person's strength by their size...


...And, even teenagers love water balloons!


4 comments:

Andrea said...

Susan thanks for posting this especially since I missed out on all the fun. This absolutely is one of my favorite posts if not my favorite! Even though I was not part of the action, I too was smiling the entire time while looking at the pictures and reading the post.
Ariel and Cecily told me ALL about their fun filled day, but it sure was nice to pull up your blog and see the pics. Thanks for having them over. I know they had a GREAT time!

Ann said...

Isn't it amazing that kids can find fun in almost anything? As we get older we seem to forget how to have fun like a child. I enjoyed seeing the kids having so much fun!

Ann B

Coty said...

somebody smack me with one please!!! ..it's been like 105 degrees 'round here lately. that looks like so much fun!!!

Brooke said...

Love the water balloons and love all the water. Whenever we are playing in the water our dog loves to join in on the fun too. Thank goodness we have ways to cool down. Just like Coty said we had a hot week, but I've been to Alabama...actually I've lived in Alabama and never experienced the heat they have there...