Of course I started with friends and family and eventually moved to the blogs of complete strangers. As usual, I found new recipes, decorating ideas, and tips on "what not to wear." I read life stories both hysterical and heartbreaking.
I was just about to turn off my computer and spend a little quality time with the hubby. When I thought, why not - just one more page...
So, I clicked on Beauty Inside and Out expecting to find ideas on how to get rid of those fine lines but instead found a cry for help.
I could not ignore this cry as it hit a little too close to home. You see, it was a post about the Iowa flood victims. The author of the post wanted to know "where are the celebrities now?" You know, the ones you saw on TV following Katrina?? She wanted to know if anyone even noticed that her home state was in the middle of a disaster.
We, here along the Gulf Coast, know what it is like to face disaster. We have lived it, breathed it and cleaned up after it. Those of us, in Mississippi and Alabama, even know what it's like to be ignored by the media.
Now, just like the people of Iowa, southerners are strong. We like to take care of ourselves and our own. But, even we have come to know that sometimes we need help. And, I'm sure there are many, many people from all across this great nation helping however they can.
No celebrities helped clean up after Katrina anywhere near where we live. It was everyday, hardworking Americans. Our neighbors from as far away as...I don't know...maybe Iowa?
The point of this post is this:
Please remember those who are suffering in the Mid West. We know all too well, it will take a long, long time for the wound to heal. Keep them in your prayers, help if you can, but most of all don't forget.





8 comments:
Thanks for the reminder Susan. We have been praying for these families just as I'm sure they did for us. I was even thinking the other day, and a little embarassed, that I haven't heard anyone from our local ward unit mention if we can go help clear out homes (although I'm not sure the flood levels have decreased enough for this to happen yet), assemble hygiene kits etc. for these people. You are so right, so many people did come to help us after Katrina, and I really think we need to go and give back. Who know's it is hurricane season and it could be us in that situation again in the not so distant future. We definitely need to be praying!
I did ask the Bishop a couple of weeks ago and he said the church was already there giving aid - not surprising! I don't really think people know how bad it is... I looked for coverage on all the major news sites and found little after about June 17th. I too reallly want to help - somehow...
Okay, I know it's weird for me to be commenting so much on my own blog but a thought occurred to me right after I left the last comment. Why not check the Church's website? Duh!!! There's lots of up-to-date info. Check out this link=)
http://www.rrstar.com/news/x19925059/Church-volunteers-aid-flood-recovery-efforts
And, this link
http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/mormons-aid-flood-victims-in-indiana-iowa-and-wisconsin
Yeah, I was pretty positive that the church was involved in giving service. I guess I was just thinking it would be nice if we did something locally to help out. Perhaps I should check into it. I know right now, for us, it is not possible for Mike to leave and go and help, but I would love to at least assemble hygiene kits or something. I just remember how much help we were given after Katrina and it would be nice to be able to give back.
BLESS YOU. Thank you so much for calling attention to this.
Darla
Isn't it strange how celebrities "pick" where they want to help. I think there is probably more money in New Orleans and more of a Hollywood influence and then you look at Iowa and people think -- where's Iowa? It's very, very sad and I hope they are getting the help and the prayers they need. Oklahoma isn't immune to natural disasters either and I know that EVERYONE needs help -- rich, poor, Black, White...everyone needs the help after their homes and their worlds have been turned upside down. Now when are you going to change your song so I don't cry EVERY time I get on your blog? :) You're great Susan - you really are. :)
Susan, thanks for commenting on my blog about PPS. I love that people actually look at it! I love yours too and this blog about the flood victims reminds us all to be thankful for our blessings and to remember to pray for all those people as we know too well how devastating natural disasters can be. Also, thanks for the words of encouragement about PPS..I am so stressed about my little "wild child" going to such a structured school but her sister made it so I am sure she can too..Well, hopefully..lol
Post a Comment