Thursday, May 29, 2008

NO TIGER!!!!

Some of you may have met our cat, Tiger. She has been a member of our family for almost six years now. We acquired her as a result of rescuing a female cat who happened to be pregnant. Tiger was born with three other kittens. Two, we gave to Mike's brother, Lee and two we kept, Tiger and Q-Tip (named by the kids because she was black with a white tip on her tail). Sadly, Q-Tip passed away about a year ago due to a heart defect. You all know how much I love animals. When I was a young girl, I dreamt of living on a big farm where all of the unwanted and unloved dogs and cats could come to live (of course now, thanks to Animal Cops on Animal Planet, I know this is called hording) But, lately Tiger has been a challenge! It all started when a couple of neighbor kittens decided that our front porch was a great place to play. And, I have to admit, we did nothing to discourage that since they are just too cute for words. Tiger, being an indoor cat however, is apparently jealous or territorial or something. I know this because she has begun to leave me, umm... little "presents" by the front door. This is very embarrassing and very stressful. Every time she goes near the front door, which is at least three times a day, I jump up running and yelling, "NO TIGER!!!" If I catch her, I can usually scoop her up and get her to the litter box in time. But, this is truly traumatizing for us both!

I wouldn't usually share this information with the world but I'm hoping someone has an idea of how to stop this ( and Marc's idea of "getting rid of the cat" is not acceptable) We've tried many things including orange peels near the door (Justin read cats hate oranges and this does work until they begin to dry up. Then Tiger just goes over and does her business on top of them). All I can say is thank goodness for brick floors! I bought some very expensive spay stuff from the pet store that doesn't work at all, and YES her litter box is very clean. So, all of you cat lovers out there, for the sake of my sanity, HELP ME!!


NO TIGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE NOT ON THE RUG!!!!!!

4 comments:

Brooke said...

I have never heard of a cat acting like that, but it all makes sense with the "territorial" thing cats have instinctively. Can you do something to get rid of the cats that come to your front door? Maybe that is an easier solution. Put a scary ceramic owl on your porch or something....

Susan said...

That's a good idea. It seems like there might be something at the pet store that's good for keeping cats away. I'll have to look. I don't know why we always seem to get animals that are a bit eccentric!Thanks for the idea!

Andrea said...

Susan, I don't have much advice because I'm not a cat owner, but I was thinking since the orange peels worked, what about an orange scented air freshner? I have this stuff made by California scents called Orange Squeeze that smells like oranges (my girls swear that it is the stuff Disney uses on Soarin). The can says that it is effective for up to 24 hours (and I know that sounds crazy, but the scent does linger.) I guess it wouldn't work if you hated the smell of oranges (I know Mike hates it when I spray it). Good Luck.

Susan said...

I actually love the smell of oranges, I'll give it a try. Thanks!