Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sophie

Sophie soon after coming to live with us

Sophie Now

As most of you know, a couple of years ago, we inherited a smart, beautiful and very hyper-active border collie. What most of you might not know is that this addition to our family came at a very good time in my life. Sophie came to live with us shortly after I'd suffered a miscarriage. Now, I know a puppy cannot replace a baby - but still - it helped a lot. Exactly one year ago, I had another (and hopefully my last) miscarriage. I don't know why or how but this dog seemed to know I was suffering and brought me a kind of comfort that's hard to explain. Sometimes, I'd just feel like lying in bed, crying, with the covers over my head when Sophie would come and place her head on my arm as if she somehow understood.

Don't get me wrong, she can be one naughty dog - especially with me. She seems to have the idea that she can get away with things when I'm around that she'd never even try with Marc. I can't count the number of times I've yelled at the top of my lungs for her to come in from the back yard only watch as she prances around pretending not to hear. Followed by Marc simply standing at the door, giving her "the look" as she bows her head and comes humbly back in. And then of course, there is the back talking. Yes, that's right when I tell her to do something (or not to do something) she talks back!

I know those who aren't "animal people" might find it hard to understand why humans love their dogs (and cats) so much. But, for me it's simple - true unconditional love. They don't care what you look like, what you're wearing, if you're grumpy or irritated, if you live in a hut or a mansion, if the house is a mess, or if you're a bad cook - they love you simply because you love them! And that's a beautiful thing!




Sophie and her very patient friend Maggie

A boy and his dog... (Justin enjoying our new pup)






3 comments:

Andrea said...

What a sweet blog Susan. I know we love Sophie. She is a sweet dog and I'm glad that she did come to you at that difficult time. Isn't funny how the Lord always knows what "ordinary miracles" we need at that given time. I really love reading your blog.

Andrea said...

AWWWW. Sophie is such a cutie pie. We love her so much and miss playing with her. Please give her a big hug for us.
Love, Ariel and Cecily

Parkes Family said...

Yeah!!! I like to take walks with Sophie remember? I hope we can walk again in the fall....
Love you!!! Sophie

Lisanka