Sunday, June 1, 2008

Bon Voyage!

Today, Justin met with his delegation of Student Ambassadors for the last time before leaving for the UK and Ireland. They had a Bon Voyage party and a pinning ceremony, officially making them U. S. Student Ambassadors. For those of you who do not know, Justin was selected to join a delegation of Student Ambassadors with the People to People Program. Twenty middle school age students from the Southeast will be heading to England, Ireland, Scotland and Whales for twenty days. Upon arriving in the UK, they will join another delegation of S.A.'s from North Carolina. Together they will meet with members of Parliament (and maybe even the queen). They will also stay with a host family for a few days before traveling throughout the area. Their adventures will include visiting the ancient city of Bath, repelling off the side of a castle and kissing the Blarney Stone, just to name a few. It is a great program and Justin is very excited!

As I mentioned in the beginning of my post, today was both a party and a pinning ceremony. One of the families, who live on the Eastern Shore, allowed us to use their home and luckily their pool. The original idea was to have the pinning ceremony first, before the kids went swimming. However, a few of the kids were running late so the delegation leader was nice enough to let the kids "jump in!' The only down side is that the kids were soaking wet and some shirtless (Justin for one) during the ceremony. Thankfully, each child was given a lanyard, with their ID attached, for us to put the pin on. It was great fun!

I am very proud and excited for Justin but I know I’ll miss him so much! I am hoping this experience of being away from home will help prepare him for his mission. Although, I’ve never been on a mission myself, I have often thought it would be harder if you’ve never been away from home. I am sure the twenty days will fly by for him and pass at a snail’s pace for me! But, I promised myself, when my children were born, that I’d never hold them back from their dreams. I just didn’t know I’d have to let him fly so soon!

Justin having fun with fellow ambassadors

Kendal having fun with the younger sister of one of the Student Ambassadors. Are those future ambassadors I see??

That's me pinning a shirtless Justin.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

This is going to be such a GREAT experience for Justin. He is going to have so much fun and I know he will represent our country and state well. Way to go Justin!

Lynne said...

Wow! I can't believe he is old enough to go on such a cool trip! Have a great time, Justin! And kudos to you, Susan, for letting him go. It's something that he'll remember forever.

Brooke said...

I don't know why, but I got goosebumps reading that. Our kids....I'm so proud of Justin and all that he's accomplished. You be strong...when does he leave?

Susan said...

Thanks Brooke! I'd rather not say when he leaves on the blog since anyone can read it (paranoid - I know) but it is soon. I'll post something once he is safely on the ground in the UK=)