Thursday, June 26, 2008

Low Fat Enchiladas

A while back I was trying to decide what to make for dinner (so tired of the same five things I always make.) Looking through my old recipe box, I came across a recipe for low fat enchiladas. I guess a lot of recipes have stories behind them and this one was no different. The recipe came from a dear sister in our ward in Monterey, California. Because of a medical condition, she could eat very little fat. She made this yummy dish at a homemaking meeting (now known as Enrichment) and I couldn't believe they were low fat. Now, usually when I hear the words "no or low fat" I automatically think "no or low taste." But these babies are an exception! I am sure, with a few ingredient changes, you could easily make them fatty. But, should you try them, do me a favor and use the low fat items the first time. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! The other great thing about this dish is that it is easy and inexpensive. Hope you enjoy it!


1 pound turkey sausage
8 low fat tortillas
1 can fat free refried beans
1 (14.5 oz) can red enchilada sauce
1-2 cups part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 13 x 9 baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
  2. Brown turkey sausage. (you can add onions if you want)
  3. Mix beans with turkey.
  4. Add 1/4 cup enchilada sauce to turkey/bean mixture.
  5. Add turkey mixture to center of tortilla, sprinkle with cheese, roll and place in the prepared dish.
  6. Spread remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 25 - 30 minutes, (cover for the first 15-20 minutes to avoid drying out) or until cheese is melted.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Thanks for the recipe Susan! I'm always looking for something good and inexpensive to feed my family. I get tired of the same 'ole stuff day after day and I'm sure my family does too! Can't wait to try this, and I promise I will make it the low fat way! Smiles...

Queen B said...

Yum! Those sound great. I will make them soon!