Monday, June 23, 2008

Has It Really Been 18 Years?!!!!!!!!

Then

Now

On this day, 18 years ago, Marc and I were married in the Atlanta Temple. It was exactly one week before Marc's 24th birthday and I was only 22. At the time, I thought we were so old but now, looking back, I realize how young we truly were. Also, looking at the "then photo" above I wonder how we ever got into those pants! Oh to be young and skinny again...

I met Marc at a "Young Single Adult" activity at church in Mobile. I had just come back home after a failed attempt to move out west on my own. I didn't know it at the time, but Marc never attended these activities and had agreed only because volleyball was involved (and we all know how much Marc loves sports.) When I first saw him, I thought he was handsome but noticed several girls "hanging all over him" and therefore decided he wasn't for me. You see, Marc was just back from his mission and the Mobile Ward's most eligible bachelor. This really didn't mean anything to me at the time so I just ignored him. Well, I guess ignoring him worked because he suddenly began attending the weekly activities. On the third week, he asked me for my phone number in front of his female groupies. I must admit it was a little embarrassing but I was thrilled. You see, even though I had pretended to ignore him all of those weeks, I truly had a huge crush on him. We began dating right away but pretended to be "just friends" for quite some time. I have a little twinge of guilt for the several girls whose hearts were broken when I stole Marc away. But, what can I say? You can't fight true love!

We were engaged longer than most LDS couples. I think it was about a year and a half. (This was partly due to the fact my dad was so sick with cancer.) Marc proposed to me on October 7, 1988. He told me to "dress nice" but wouldn't tell me where we were going. He picked me up in his parent's fancy car (he had his own car it just wasn't very fancy=) and we began to drive across the Bay. Soon, we arrived at The Grand Hotel in Point Clear for dinner. During our lovely meal, Marc had a dozen long stemmed red roses delivered to the table. After dinner, we walked to the car but rather than getting in, Marc went to the trunk and pulled out two wine glasses and a bottle of non-alcoholic champagne. He then led me out onto one of the piers. It was such a beautiful night! After drinking a bit and talking, he got down on one knee and asked the question that would change my life forever. And, as you might have guessed - I said YES! (well, actually I said I'd "think about it" but was only joking...lol)

I'd be lying if I said all of the last eighteen years have been perfectly wonderful. The truth is, there have been good times and not so good times. Yet I cannot imagine going through them with anyone else. I am so thankful to my Father in Heaven for sending Marc to me. My life has been blessed because of his companionship. He is the love of my life, the father of my children, and my best friend.

Happy Anniversary Honey! Here's to another 18 years, and another, and another, and...


2 comments:

Andrea said...

What a sweet and wonderful post. I know I have heard this story before, but I still love to hear over again how people met and also of their engagement. I guess it is just the true romantic in me! I think it is funny that he went to the SA activities at first for volleyball and then his motivation changed to you. See, like I always tell my kids, when you do the right thing and are in the right places, good things happen. LOL.
Oh, and your remark about how you both fit in those pants cracked me up! Hello...you are thin sti(smiles)
Happy Anniversary to two of the nicest people I know, and here's to many more!

Brooke said...

I love that you two are so in love! I really admire the love you have for each other and I must admit am a bit jealous of it! You two are such a great couple -- I love the story of your engagement. I can just see Marc, the returned missionary, surrounded by all those single Southern girls. Just like Ricks. Those returned missionaries sure are popular!