Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Safely on the Ground

I am happy to report Justin is safely on the ground in the UK. He and his delegation landed this morning in London at about 7:00 a.m. (or about 1:00 a.m. CST). He left Mobile yesterday morning, flew to Atlanta and then took a straight flight to London.

Justin was a bit anxious about going through security at the Mobile airport. He knew he had nothing to hide but was still a bit worried since there are so many regulations these days. Well, wouldn't you know, his was the only bag that set off the alarm and therefore had to be hand searched. I wish you could have seen his face as they went through his things! It was a look of complete innocence and disbelief. We couldn't help him since only those flying are allowed behind the security gate. Finally, after about ten minutes of searching, they released him to join the rest of the group. We were able to ask him, through a glass window, about the cause of the search. He quickly grabbed his bag and with a big smile pulled out his scriptures. He pointed to the gold leafing on the side of the pages as the cause of the alarm - and the delay. Well, I thought, I guess it was worth it!

Justin and his fellow ambassadors will be spending the next two days seeing various sights in London. Their adventures will include meeting with a member of Parliament, spending a couple of nights on a yacht, staying a few days with a host family and attending classes at a private school. They will then move on to other parts of the UK and Ireland.


Waiting at the airport


Trying to get through security in Mobile


Just before going through security, the delegation leader had the ambassadors stand in a circle and tell something they were excited about seeing/experiencing. She then had them hold on to a piece of string and toss the rest to another person. Soon all of the students were connected to one another with this string. She reminded them for the next twenty days they will be connected and ultimately "family." It was very touching.


Waiting and waiting and waiting...



Our group of Student Ambassadors representing the South Eastern United States

A little closer view
(sorry the pictures are blurry - I gave Justin our GOOD camera=)


6 comments:

Andrea said...

Thanks for posting Susan! We are glad that Justin landed safely. He is going to have such an AWESOME experience! The pictures you posted were wonderful. I know it is crazy, but I got a bit teary eyed seeing Justin and all those kids there about to go on a journey that will be something they will always remember. I love the string thing that they did. That is really neat. When you talk to Justin, let him know how proud we are of him!

Andrea said...

I needed to come back and post. I just could not help thinking that in just a few short years, we will be seeing Justin leaving for his mission. It's neat to think about, but I just can't believe how quick time flies. We really are proud of him. Justin is a great young man!

Brooke said...

I think you need to change that song on your blog because I get teary-eyed everytime I look at your posts and read about your family. I just think you all are doing so great and Justin and Kendall are developing and growing into such ideal young people. You and Mark are great parents and I just wish I lived closer so we could hang out and everything, but that's the great thing about reconecting and blogging. LOVE it!

Parkes Family said...

OK Susan!!!I agree with Brooke you need to change the music, is so nice to see how much Justin had grown in one year!!!! and like Andrea I'm glad I'm not the only one the got teary I though what's goin on with me? why I'm getting teary when this is something so great for Justin? I know he is goin to have a blast!! I'll see you all soon,

Lisanka :)

Susan said...

I just want ya'll to know that I get teary eyed when I read your blogs too - sometimes. I think it is just because our kids are growing up too quickly. Anyone know how to slow that process down.LOL!

Parkes Family said...

Susan I think I'm very hormonal because I still get soooo teary, Chelsea think I'm just weird!! just wait untill she have children I just goin to tell her ..WHATEVER!!! I've being there and done that!! I know is hard to belive the children are growin so fast too fast!!! I'll see if they have so mormon magic here to stop the kids from growin so fast, I just wish they could stay this old for a long while......aleast 10 more years?
well I have to go my sister think I'm a little coocoo with the blog.
I miss you all ..I know is just a week, but I do miss you all.

Lisanka :)